I recently had a fantastic opportunity to go back to my alma mater to speak to some of the college students in the retail merchandising program there. I started off my presentation with a little get to know you section. I shared with them all sorts of things about me to let them get to know me and I wanted to know all about them as well! One of the questions I asked every single young woman in that room was, “What is one of the top things on your bucket list?” I loved hearing the variety of responses! Some were incredibly unique, some were so big, & others were short term and very achievable. I loved going through this exercise with the girls and hearing about all the phenomenal aspirations they all have!
How many times have you said to someone “Oh that’s totally on my bucket list” only to not actually have a bucket list written down anywhere? How many other things are on that imaginary bucket list of yours? Or how many things have you said are on your imaginary bucket list, but don’t actually remember them because you didn’t write them down in a cute little notebook? That has SO totally happened to me! I went from never writing down the important things on my bucket list to creating a whole book of my bucket lists organized by category. And after going through this exercise, I learned a few things about the famous phrase BUCKET LIST.
What I know for sure about bucket lists:
- Let your dreams flow. Bucket lists keep you dreaming big about your future and what could be. In combination with that, they help knock down any limiting beliefs you have about your future, one bucket list item at a time.
- Write it down. Writing down your bucket list keeps you from forgetting all the things you want on there! Not only that, but you can keep them on the list even after you do accomplish them & cross them out as a memory holder of all the incredible things you are out there trying in your life!
- Sweet Anticipation. Each item on your list becomes so much more enjoyable when it happens due to all your anticipation leading up to accomplishing it!
- Direction. They make you more efficient and purposeful with your time. Who doesn’t want to be more purposeful with their time?
- Breathe it in. They make you stop to be present and think about what you truly want to experience in life and to take it all in when you are doing that activity on your list.
- Fun creation. Whether it’s by yourself or with a group of girlfriends or co-workers this is definitely something to make an event around. Ice cream & bucket list writing anyone? Yes, please.
- What you want. By focusing on the things that give you great joy, you are naturally creating a more compelling personal life. And wouldn’t you rather create a life that you don’t need to take a vacation from because it’s your beautiful everyday that already makes you smile?
- Grow. It takes you out of your comfort zone. You experience new things and with every new experience comes personal growth and getting to know yourself better.
- Motivational. By writing down your bucket list, it gives you more motivation to actually go out and try these new things. It makes it more real and attainable when you take the time to write it down.
- Change it up. Sometimes your list changes and you take things off of it before you complete them and THAT’S okay! Your interests will change and naturally so does your bucket list. No rules apply! You do whatever you feel like!
- Open up the context. A bucket list gives the opportunity to anything and everything you’ve wanted whether it’s big, small or completely random. Unlike setting goals, a bucket list gives you the permission to write down anything you’ve ever wanted without judgement or practicality. Woohoo to that!
- It helps limit regrets. Nobody likes regrets. Enough said.
- Comparison thief. Put items on your list that YOU truly want to do. Think about it, why put something on there just because someone else did? Bucket lists are not worth comparing and wouldn’t you rather do the things that you are wildly passionate about instead of checking things off a list that you weren’t that jazzed about in the first place?
- Celebrate. Each & every single item you cross off that list is worth celebrating because you accomplished it! Pop that bubbly. Cheers to you!
Now, If you need some bucket list inspiration, one of my lists is below to get your ideas flowing.
Get after it ladies! Go experience life and make your dreams happen! That definitely beats sitting in your cubicle at work doesn’t it?
Hugs & Mochas,
Bits & pieces of my bucket lists:
- Go on a hot air balloon ride
- Swim with dolphins
- Go wine tasting in Napa Valley
- Go Zip-lining through the mountains
- Take horseback riding lessons
- Own a Christmas tree farm
- Go on a personal growth/meditation retreat by myself
- Take a barista class to learn how to make delicious coffee from my very own apartment
- Take a Mexican food cooking class
- Ride an elephant
- See the North Carolina Tar Heels play in person
- Go to a NCAA Final 4 game
- Go to a conference put on by Oprah Winfrey
- Attend a murder mystery dinner party
- See the musical Lion King
- See a live taping of Shark Tank
- Go on a cruise
- Go to the summer Olympics
- Start a bundt cake side business
- Get a massage
- Throw a dart at a map and just go right then & there
- Go to a Sonic for hotdogs & milkshakes
- Be at Rockefeller center for the Christmas tree lighting
- Go swimming under a waterfall
- Make homemade bread